St Albans 01727 298086
St Albans 01727 298086

Our History

In 1907, King Edward VII was on the throne, Baden-Powell founded the Scouts, and the Old Bailey opened its doors. Not only that, W. J. Edwards Removals was born. William James Edwards successfully build a strong reputation for quality house removals from the very beginning and this is where it all began…

1907

W. J. Edwards Removals & Storage was founded by William James Edwards in 1907.

1919

William James Edwards was a Luton-born businessman and mayor of the town in the late 1940s. Over the years, William built a solid reputation for quality house removals before passing the baton to his son, Ken Edwards, in the early 1950s.

1940

William James Edwards walking alongside Winston Churchill during World War II.

1940

One of our old Bedford trucks serving Luton back in 1940.

1940

This is a historic image of WJ Edwards helping out during the blitz.

1950

Newspaper advertisement for W.J. Edwards featuring some testimonials.

1970s

Ken continued to run the firm from its base in Strathmore Avenue, Luton, until the 1970s. It was around then that his son, William James – ‘Jim’ – Edwards took over at the helm.

1990

In the 1990s, the business entered its fourth generation, when Jim’s eldest son, Duncan, joined the ranks.

Present

Jim, his wife Julia, and Duncan continue to run the business at the original Strathmore Avenue premises, the old stables long since replaced by a modern storage warehouse. As for today’s customers, they range from star-name footballers to lord and ladies of the aristocracy.

Customer Reviews
Website & Marketing by Success Local Limited - W3C Compliant HTML5